Thursday 2 June 2011

Joy Orbison at Black Atlantic

Saturday 28 May... A warehouse in Hackney... Black Atlantic presenting... Moodymann and Joy Orbison.

I got there just after 2am, no queue outside, we literally just walked in and inside it wasn't packed either. Moodymann played until about 3.30am and then Joy Orbison until the end, about 5.30am. Moodymann was good, some tracks I liked some I didn't, but overall it was ok; he was full of energy mixing tracks you would never think of mixing and the crowd seemed to enjoy the set quite a lot. I can never really say for sure whether I actually like him or not... He played at times more funky, then more jazzy... At times there seemed to be some issues with the sound... and from what I was told, before I arrived there were massive issues with the sound... Far from ideal situation...

There were also some issues at the bar, which didn't help... I think one of the bar staff decided to quit on the night leaving the bar short staffed and there was soon a big crowd gathering around the bar area. And then... they run out of beer!... Pretty frustrating situation, though in reality I couldn't care less! I didn't really want anything from the bar and Joy Orbison was on! Really nice set, we were dancing non stop! He also played a few of his 'hits'... like Hyph Mngo, which I quite like. Wasn't crazy about the track he chose to close his set, though I can't remember which one it was. I do remember though it was really slow and atmospheric, I'm sure others really liked it, but personally to close the party I would prefer something louder, more dynamic.

2 comments:

  1. the last track he played might be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGCVhhUxnp8

    ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what?.. just listened to the track & i think you are right, thx for that!

    ReplyDelete