Thursday 17 March 2011

Bloc Weekend 2011 - Day 1

This festival has become a must attend event to anyone into electronic music. I've been at Butlins in Minehead on the 2nd weekend of March for the last 3 years. We get to Bloc around midnight. By the time we get our keys, we find our chalet and we are ready to go it's 2am.

Stop 1 Centre:Bloc to see LFO who hasn't played in the UK since 2008. It's good, but I stay only for 10mins as I simply have to rush to Tek:Bloc to see Shackleton, whose set is as always deep and atmospheric with his distinctive eastern/oriental sound.

Shackleton, Deadman by honest jons

After Shakleton I rush to the Red:Bloc to see Ben Klock who once again proves to be one of the greatest techno DJs with his raw and hard set. Then back to the Tek:Bloc to see DJ Pete; I think if it is techno you are after, just seeing Ben Klock and DJ Pete is more than enough to feel complete, even though they both played just for an hour, which wasn't quite enough. I think especially in techno, sets should be at least a couple of hours long, giving DJs enough time to build up their sets and get the crowd taken over.

I then end up at the Jak:Block, the only room open after 3.30am. Taken over by Plex, I get to see Ancient Methods, Silent Servant, James Tec and Jamez. I really enjoy all Plex DJs, but head back around 8am.

I think even though I enjoyed a lot the first day of Bloc, it was far from flawless. There were long gaps between DJs and there seemed to be issues with the sound. While DJs were playing there were sound engineers on stage changing cables etc. This was definitely not the case in previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment