Friday 18 March 2011

Bloc Weekend 2011 - Day 2

I was hoping to start my second day of the festival at the Ableton RFID Dome. I arrive there and the queue is massive. Really wanted to see Luke Vibert, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, there's no way I'm queueing... I quickly go to the Hotshots Sports Bar to see LuSINda, I really like seeing girls playing good techno! Then at the Tec:Bloc I see Geddes, who's also really good! Even though the room is pretty empty, as the time passes there is slowly more of a crowd and everyone seems to be having a good time.

Next stop is Red:Bloc to see King Midas Sound. Simply amazing! I love King Midas Sound, but this is so much better than I expected! Really powerful! You feel the bass vibrating everywhere inside you. I then move on to the Centre:Bloc to see Dopplereffekt.

Their sound is so dark and hypnotic. I then head off to see the first half of Jimmy Edgar and then the second half of dOP... What a performance?! The guy is hilarious! It's impossible not to get into it. It'a all about getting everyone into the party mood! He even gets a girl from the audience to dance with him on stage at the end... I have to admit I was a little bit worried at that moment, but thankfully the girl could actually dance! That was definitely a relief! Once dOP finish I naturally move to Soul Clap, to experience the funk!
Before ending my evening at the Jak:Bloc, I have to go see Venetian Snares. Aaron Funk is his usual self... grumpy looking, no eye contact with the audience, drinking beer after beer, getting off the stage and leaving the music playing in a loop. Can't say I understand exactly what he does or how he does it, but whatever it is I like it!

At 4am back in the Jak:Bloc! I have to stay till 9am to see Matilda, who plays a great set, finishes a few mins early and as soon as the crowd complains she's back on the decks! Class!

It would have been great to see Four Tet and Aphex Twin, but I've never seen a queue so long and I'm seriously not into queueing. I was glad to have seen them both before, so I wasn't too disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment