Sunday 10 April 2011

Dazed Live

Dazed & Confused put on an event yesterday taking over 5 locations in East London's Shoreditch; Tramshed, 18 Hewett Street, XOYO, St Leonard's Church and Village Underground. It started in the afternoon with several art and digital art exhibitions and installations, film screenings and talks and continued into the night with bands, DJs and performers.

Went around a bit, main reason I was there was to see Alejandro Jodorowsky, he gave a talk about one of his films; The Holy Mountain, which was then screened and later on he did live Tarot for a couple of members of the audience who volunteered. He's such an icon, I've seen I think most of his films. I never thought I would get to see him in person and seeing him at this event was just perfect! It was in the St Leonard's Church and it felt really intimate and friendly, with not too many people. Jodorowsky was really natural and genuine, he was exactly as you would expect him to be. One of my favorite quotes was: 'I believe not in political revolution, but in poetic re-evolution.' I wish I had recorded everything he said... He's so inspirational, 81 years old, looking so good and healthy, still working on his stuff, having a beautiful young wife. He must be doing something right! He wants to make a film about famous people's assholes... He believes in a previous life he was a woman priest, because he has the memory of female orgasm... I mean the guy is amazing! If I had a list of 5 things to do before I die, seeing Jodorowsky would definitely be on it, and it's been ticked off! 



Later on I went on to start seeing the bands and DJs. Pretty disappointing I have to admit. Everything seemed to be starting late, both music venues were not particularly busy... not sure where the people were... Stayed at Village Underground to see Darkstar, who have apparently now moved from Hyperdub to Warp. They started setting the stage up and then continued for what seemed to me as at least 1/2hr of having problems with the sound. I felt sorry for the guys, if I were them, I would probably have refused to play; completely unacceptable. And when they eventually got the sound sorted and Darkstar started, the sound in the room was horrible... The bass was too loud, your ears were aching even with earplugs on and the mics kept making this whistling noise. After a while they sorted out the bass, thank god, otherwise I think our ears would have started bleeding... Anyway, I was actually happy to see Darkstar as I'm a big fun. The sound as I said wasn't great, but hey that's life I guess... Things can't always work out to perfection... At least last time I saw them at Hoxton Bar and Grill it was good! I wanted to stay on to see Grimes and Actress, but I kind of gave up at that point...

No comments:

Post a Comment