Friday 8 April 2011

Ostgut Ton at Berlin Next

Last Saturday I found myself in Paris. That night as part of Berlin Next there was an Ostgut Ton label event on at La Gaite Lyrique. Naturally I went!



I get there and Berlin based John Roberts is already playing (he's actually not on Ostgut Ton, he's on Dial). First time I see him, his set is ok, nothing too special, but quite deep and definitely bringing that Berlin sound to Paris! Not sure how long he played for, I get to see only the last 20mins. Then Barker and Baumecker! They play for around 1hr, again ok set, nothing too exciting, but can't really say anything negative either.



And then what I've been waiting for... Marcel Fengler! I've got a few tracks and a couple of mixes of his, really like his stuff! I had big expectations from tonight! Then again a little bit disappointed... I think his set is only 1hr (I say I think.... cause I don't stay till the end), yet it takes him 20mins to actually go for it. Also he's playing really low... Even the soundman goes up to him to tell him he can turn it up, but he's not doing it. The tracks are good, the mixing is good, but there's something not there for me. I wish I was in Berghain next to the Funktion 1 listening to Marcel playing really loud, after a couple of other deep techno DJs, so I can really get in the mood, but that's not the case. I think it's also the crowd that is not helping. The venue is great and the staff are really nice and helpful. The crowd is quite young and somehow really clean and proper. That's probably what impresses me more... this is not the crowd you would normally expect in such an event and it actually makes a big difference.

Overall a good night, but if you missed it, you didn't really miss that much..

No comments:

Post a Comment